The Utah Safety Council (USC) has been dedicated for the past 75 years to ensuring the safety of Utah
workers by providing occupational safety training and compliance certification. 150 courses are offered
each year on various related topics, including: Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
Compliance Courses for General Industry and Construction, Mine Safety and Health Administration
(MSHA) New Miner and Refresher Training, and Contractor Safety Orientation (UITC) courses.
Hoyt Archery Company, the world leader in manufacturing compound and recurve bows, is a member
of the USC and takes occupational safety very seriously. Central to optimizing safety at a facility is
implementing a solid maintenance management program. Seeking a user-friendly, affordable, and agile
system to analyze all maintenance actions (corrective, reactive, and preventive) so as to better forecast
labor requirements (and, consequently minimize downtime), Hoyt selected eMaint’s X3 CMMS in 2009.
The new system allowed Hoyt to build a maintenance history, segregate work orders and costs by
department, track labor and downtime, and maintenance by type that put KPIs at the team’s fingertips
– and allowed the to tame the process of assessing future maintenance expenditures. X3 CMMS
supported adding photos of spare parts, which expedited the time required to look up desired parts and,
additionally, improved inventory accuracy.
- Several desirable outcomes were achieved as a result of the X3 CMMS implementation at Hoyt, such as:
- 77% increase in PM compliance
- 40% reduction in downtime
- Improved efficiency of assigning and completing work orders, reducing work backlog
- Maintenance history improves budget and labor forecast accuracy
- Tracking spare parts and locations eliminates hours spent daily searching for parts
- Better understanding of repair costs per asset
In a recent article on processbaron.com titled “Five Important Reasons Preventative Maintenance
Makes Perfect Sense”, the number one reason given was plant safety. The article went on to detail
what most maintenance professionals know all to well, namely, that the best way to avoid injuries to
equipment operators is to ensure that the equipment they use is maintained to the highest standards,
which regularly implemented preventive maintenance enables facilities to do.
Dana Madama is the Online Marketing Manager at eMaint Enterprises, located in Marlton, NJ, which provides CMMS and EAM solutions for all of your maintenance and asset management needs.