Manually created work orders have been prevalent in the maintenance world since the first maintenance teams were established. Though paper-based work orders seem to be easier to create in the moment, they do not perform well as a long term/large scale solution. This method also includes unforeseen challenges, such as delays in communication, extra costs (in both time and money) for data entry personnel and more. In today’s fast-paced maintenance world, as organizations grow and their reach expands, managing paper-based work orders can become all together inefficient and environmentally unfriendly.
Computerized Maintenance Management Systems such as eMaint CMMS help organizations put an end to the phone calls, post-it notes and missing paperwork, and embrace the power of cloud-based, online software.
How to use CMMS for Work Order Management
Work orders are the heart of a maintenance program, and utilizing the work order software tools within a CMMS helps organizations stay up-to-date on labor, projects and resources in the current queue. The work order management tools enable an organization to take control of work backlog and upcoming work, make constant improvements, boost labor productivity and remain compliant. There are three main players in the work order management process:
Work Orders Request Management
Work cannot always be planned ahead of time. For corrective work or customer appeals, work order requests are submitted. Maintenance managers can tailor workflow processes for request submission, approval, rejection, and completion to the specific needs of their organization. Identifying a workflow process ensures:
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are adhered to by all users
- Work goes through an approval process
- Areas of responsibility and expectations are clear for users
- Periodic process auditing is performed
- Valid data is being entered into a CMMS
- Efficient communication flow
With eMaint, organizations have the option to choose between three work order request submission options:
- Work requestors are given an eMaint user login that allows them to submit requests and view the history and statistics of their requests
- Work requestors send an email to a designated email address that gets converted into an eMaint work request
- Work requestors submit requests to eMaint through a customized web form that is embedded (on a company’s web page or intranet)
With the work request tools in a CMMS, the human error associated with phone or face-to-face requests is no longer an issue. Organizations can send requestors automated email alerts when a work request is approved or rejected, and then an automated email alert with a satisfaction survey once work has been completed.
With modern mobile CMMS solutions, requestors can submit work requests anytime, anywhere from their mobile device, including pictures of equipment needing repair.
Work Order Software
With the technological advancements of today, comprehensive CMMS software makes it easy to work the way you want to work with tools that enable organizations to increase on-time work completion, improve workflow efficiency, keep track of project due dates and more.
- Work Order Assignment – Using features such as eMaint’s maintenance scheduling tools, maintenance planners and schedulers can directly assign work orders to staff, contractors or vendors on a specific day, time or location. Assigned and unassigned work orders can also be viewed on a calendar display, and work can easily be reassigned when necessary.
- Scheduling Calendar – View a calendar by day, week or month with all labor resources and open work orders, or adjust calendar views and filter work by employee, work order type (such as Preventive Maintenance Schedules) or whatever information is most critical to your organization. Organizations can also utilize the PM Projection feature to plan upcoming work and ensure parts, labor and tools are available.
- Reports & Dashboards – Leverage Reports & Dashboards to stay in-the-know of work orders categorized by type, technician, department, and any other user-definable field.
- Mobile Maintenance – Using mobile CMMS maintenance services such as eMaint’s MX Mobile, you can access real-time data and perform functions throughout your facility and on the road, including submitting and approving work requests, signing and closing out work orders and more.
Major overhaul and renovation projects can be a headache, but the management process doesn’t need to be. With eMaint’s project management tools, organizations can easily create projects and assign and track work orders from project inception to completion.
With Gantt Charts, users can view all work orders within a single project based on dates to help create a visual understanding of work competition rates compared to the project end date.